10 August 2007

"Rational Human Being"

What do I mean when I say I am a "rational human being"?

Diagnosed as being my major problem, being a rational human being is hard.

I just mean as a human I like to think I am capable of at least trying to be rational.


This belief may be totally mistaken. I think it is not mistaken.
When I was mocked for calling myself "a rational human being",
I assume that it was from the perspective that obviously humans aren't always rational - look around you or read a history book. Also that terrible deeds were done by people who thought they were being totally rational.
--------------------
But we are capable of being reasonable. It is part of our nature.

You may say "one man's reason is another man's folly" and there is no agreement as to what is objectively rational or reasonable. And that what is rational is just what the speaker says is rational. It's an opinion.

Well, I would dissent, along with Richard Dawkins I would hope, from this view.


All the same, any belief may be totally mistaken.
....

-----

Just take a look at this:


"The sickness of secularism: The threat to tolerance and coexistence no longer comes from religion."
Soumaya Ghannoushi

"We are witnessing the rise of an arrogant secularist rhetoric founded on belief in the supremacy of reason and absolute faith in science and progress, dogmas which arouse ridicule in serious academic and intellectual circles nowadays."
Soumaya Ghannoushi

Hmmmmm....

For a start:
Secularism does not mean "no religion" or "anti-religion" it means "any, all or no religion."
..... to be continued.