10 May 2010

My first ever letter to a newspaper - 1992.

My first ever letter to a newspaper. 1992.


Dear Sir,

I understand that Enoch Powell believes that "a politician complaining about the press is like a sailor complaining about the sea."

I am sure that sailors sometimes complain about the sea since it can seem to them a vast, blue, inhuman expanse. Thus it is quite possible that politicians could complain about our press since it too is a vast, blue (in politics and in taste) inhuman expanse. 
I hope I understand his simile correctly.

As an esteemed classicist Mr.Powell knows what is really meant by GRAVITAS and HUMANITAS.

"The Sun" for example upholds neither of these ancient standards and is a "news" paper of uniquely low quality in the old PAX ROMANA.

Yours sincerely,

CIVIS,

"Roman Ford", Essex.