15 October 2009

15th October 2009

I am now the proud possessor of two more books by Thomas Szasz - "Antipsychiatry: Quackery Squared" and "The Medicalisation of Everyday Life: Selected Essays".
I wasn't sure whether or not to buy them, mainly as I have little money, but I am very glad I did.
The more of them that I read the more I realise I am reading the right thing.

Regarding the term "antipsychiatry" it seems, to my relief, that Szasz is mainly opposed to the ideology and movement called antipsychiatry as well as the term - which he shows great hostility towards; and he is obviously not necessarily opposed to opposition to psychiatry in some form.
He seems to be saying that the term "antipsychiatry" as it has been used, does not mean opposition to psychiatry!
My use of the term anti-psychiatry in this think tank does not refer to an ideology.
I even think that I am using the term tactically and not ideologically at all.
It could even conceivably be disposed with.
To be continued.