9 February 2017

Typical John Gray bullshit

"There is no basis – whether in logic or history – for the prevailing notion that atheism and liberalism go together." 

John Gray, philosopher.


If you ask me, this is typical John Gray bullshit!


He is trying to suit reality to his own pre-conceived agenda and pro-religion views.


In discussion here is this article by the philosopher John Gray : John Gray "The Ghost at the Atheist Feast."


I am an atheist. And I believe that there are many deep links - both in logic and in history - between liberalism and atheism. Furthermore, I believe it is obvious that this is the case.

Why should being an atheist mean that I have to be a fan of Nietzsche?
There is no logical or historical basis for any notion that atheism and devotion to Nietzsche go together!
I think that Nietzsche's work is mainly execrable, pompous rubbish.

I deny that Nietzsche is "the pivotal modern critic of religion", as Gray affirms in this article.
The decline of religion that he echoed was not necessarily anything to do with him and it is something that was happening anyway, as Weber has described.

John Gray is something of a pessimist who seems to believe that humans are incorrigibly religious.
Being a pessimist is pointless. Furthermore, it is simply not true that humans cannot live without a religion, depending on how one defines religion.