9 September 2009

Richard Dawkins and Biogenesis

I hope that Richard Dawkins points out at some point in a very prominent way that evolutionary theory cannot (as yet) explain biogenesis.

I accept that maybe one day we will know.

But it must be pointed out that at present we don't know.

------

At the end of the day, he is adamant that "there is no architect."

And he may well be totally right about this.

-----

But he never stresses that a gene is itself literally an architects' plan.

A gene is information.

And, as far as I know, Dawkins has no more clue than anyone else on the planet has, as to how that information emerged, supposedly ex nihilo.


As a supposed evangelist for science and reason he should make this very clear if it is the case.

I wish him all the very best.

----

I am listening to him now on BBC2 and he has just said that "Darwinism explains our existence."

(As the Americans say) Excuse me?

Have I missed something?

Update - 2017.

Nearly eight years after writing the above, I have decided to read more of Dawkins writings and hear more of his speeches to see how he maintains that Darwinism explains our existence.
I understand that he does concede that Darwin does not explain biogenesis, but he makes it clear that this is no reason to lurch from this to something other than a scientific explanation for it.
This is entirely right.
Biogenesis MUST have a rational, scientific explanation that we may indeed someday discover.