28 August 2009

I am anti-psychiatry

"Subsuming his [Szasz's] work under the rubric of antipsychiatry betrays and negates it just as surely and effectively as subsuming it under the rubric of psychiatry.

Szasz powerfully argues that his writings belong to neither psychiatry nor antipsychiatry. They stem from conceptual analysis, social-political criticism, and common sense. "


-------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------

Well I personally am anti-psychiatry. By which I mean simply that I am against psychiatry.
Just like being against cars.
I suppose it depends what you mean by psychiatry but....
I see this as the same as being anti-slavery, anti-racist, anti-fascist etc.
Just a very general term.


I would also see it in the same way as these possible terms:
"anti-phrenology", "anti-astrology", "anti-Tarot" or "anti-Scientology."


Would I seek to ban Tarot or astrology?
Well I believe in freedom so I wouldn't.
I probably could not anyway.
But would I seek to ban them if they institutionally abused people?
Maybe I would.

Maybe Szasz means by "anti-psychiatry" a specific ideology?
I will read his book and find out.
-----

In English English "anti-x" can be an adjective. Maybe that's not so much the case in the USA.
But (thankfully) I wouldn't know.
...............................
to be continued.
as always.
-----------------

I would never seek to call Szasz an "anti-psychiatrist" nor "anti-psychiatry", nor part of (the ideology of) "anti-psychiatry."

I suppose he is a philosopher of a kind.



-----------------
-----------------

This reminds me of another interesting point about the difference between what could be called "European English" and American English.
There is a book by T.S.Eliot called "The Idea of a Christian Society".
In American English this title can mean "the purpose of a Christian society."
In European English this title principally would mean "the concept of a Christian society."
To an American mind the American meaning is perhaps so forceful as to almost preclude the European meaning.
.......