16 August 2009

The "Elgin Marbles" and "Kettle Logic"

This is the thing I was trying to remember about the arguments about the Parthenon Frieze.

It's called "Kettle Logic."


One thing that this maybe suggests is that if you have more than one argument in favour of something it can sometimes suggest that you may not have any at all.....

With regard to the British Museum; their BEST argument is undoubtedly that keeping the Parthenon Freize in London perhaps allows more people to see it.

The fact that they may try to introduce other arguments when they don't really have any other arguments makes their case more suspect in my view.

Calling them "The Elgin Marbles" is a good metaphor for English hypocrisy.
The marbles are respectfully and traditionally called "The Elgin Marbles."

This is in reality nothing more and nothing less than naming them after the person that stole them.

To be honest I hate nationalism and countries more and more really.

So like the Greek philosophers I am willing to be flexible in my view of this and if it were best to keep them in London then that is where I would say they should stay.

But that's just my opinion.