19 February 2008

The Psychiatrist as Negotiator

The psychiatrist is your negotiator with the world.

And his message from the world to you, a message that he is paid lavishly to give you, is that
you are wrong and the world is right.

Being seen by a psychiatrist is equivalent to being accused of a crime and being put in a hospital is a punishment not a treatment.

Your punishment for not accepting the world is imprisonment.

Only when all compulsion is removed from psychiatry will violence in the mental health system end.

Psychiatry is a crime against humanity and mental illness does not exist.

http://www.szasz.com/manifesto.html

I am listening to a psychiatrist now on The Moral Maze saying that suicide is never rational and everyone who commits suicide has a "mental disorder".
A load of bollocks of course.

He said that they need "treatment" - he means punishment.
I have never regarded what psychiatrists do as "treatment" and it is not treatment.
That they would respond well to treatment - imprisonment and poisoning and persecution. That's the "treatment" you usually get.

Suicide is a civil right!

I am not opposed to people trying to help people.
That's precisely why I am opposed to psychiatry in its present form.

"He who does not accept and respect those who want to reject life does not truly accept and respect life itself."
Thomas Szasz.

------

I know in my case that for the first year that I saw a psychiatrist I was simply arguing with him about my behaviour. I admit that my behaviour may have been wrong in some way.

The poor deluded man was bound by the untenable tenets of his redundant profession to see me as in some way "ill."

But still what we were engaging in was nothing more than negotiation.

If I had committed an offence it should have been a matter for the law.

The truth is that I had committed no crime other than break convention and spoken the truth.

A consequence of simply not conforming was that I was taken to a shrink who through no fault of his own has to see me as in some way "ill" and consequently has to poison and imprison and commit the other crimes that are part of his profession, rather than actually helping to solve the problems that I was having in my life.

-------

I was taken to see a psychiatrist because I could not relate to the people I encountered at university. I was unhappy at university, and found it hard there.
Not fitting it at university had made me unhappy.
These were the reasons I was taken.
I had dropped out of university and hadn't done any work there and didn't like the university or the people, and didn't really care if I did not return. This was anathema to my father who took me to see a psychiatrist. I had misbehaved.
I was depressed because of what life had shown to me. It was not biological.