5 March 2007

Favourite writers/thinkers

These are some thinkers/writers that I like.


Thomas Szasz.


Important and simple insights. And a belief in human freedom too.

Karl Popper.


Eric Fromm.

George Orwell.

A belief in decency shines through.

Bertrand Russell.

Noam Chomsky.

Richard Dawkins.


Stubbornly reasonable. He gives a necessary perspective.

Mikhail Bakunin.

Aldous Huxley.

A very wise man....if there is such a thing. I am not interested at all in LSD. I am very interested in his more philosophical essays and writings. He had a liking for Indian thought amongst other things. He was a humanist and he had a good sense of history....

Umberto Eco.

Intellectual and fun.

Graham Greene.


A "Catholic Atheist", an Englishman, and a wonderful writer......

Desmond Morris.

Desmond Morris's essential and simple perspective is that he was trained as a zoologist so why not examine humans as "just another species" under the gaze of a zoologist. I am against behaviourism, but I think this perspective is interesting and revealing, if not the be all and the end all..... I like very much the book "The Human Zoo".
I think his view of us as fundamentally "simple, tribal animals" is interesting. I no longer think that we are essentially or unavoidably "tribal" however.

Kenan Malik

Donald Cupitt

Tony Benn

Jonathan Porritt

Karen Armstrong