19 August 2010

JEAN BAUDRILLARD: an interesting thinker

Jean BAUDRILLARD was an interesting thinker, if rather abstruse, inaccessible and possibly quite irrational.

"I am a peasant at heart," said Jean Baudrillard. He was also possibly more of a poet than a philosopher.

He was also ridiculously and magnificently "YANKOSCEPTIQUE"! Magnifique! Something that I like.

An example of this dislike of the USA is the following rather irrational comment:
"Deep down, the USA, with.. its technological refinement, its bluff good conscience...is the only remaining primitive society." 
Jean BAUDRILLARD




"La guerre du golfe n'aura pas lieu ; La guerre du golfe n'a pas lieu ; La guerre du golfe n'a pas eu lieu."
("The Gulf War will not happen; the Gulf War did not happen; the Gulf War did not happen.")
Jean Baudrillard, 1991.

Whilst this quote could acceptably be dismissed as irrational nonsense, the point that Baudrillard was making in his book "The Gulf War Did Not Happen" was quite subtle.

He did not deny that bloodshed had taken place but he did deny that what was happening was a conventional war.

I personally think the Gulf War and the 20 year long assault on Iraq that followed was Anti-Semitic mass murder and genocide.

As someone who has an unconventional view of the Gulf War of 1991 and what followed it,
I used to think I saw an ally in Baudrillard on this question. But now I am not so sure.


A Baudrillard quote that I like is "Forget Foucault!" with reference to Michel Foucault. I dislike and reject the work of the thinker Michel Foucault.



  1. "French theorist Jean Baudrillard (1929–2007) was one the foremost intellectual figures of the present age" was one assessment of the man.
  2. I do not know if I concur with this view or what this means if it is true in any way.    Some people think that he was so bad and irrelevant as to be a "laughing stock" - along with other post-modernist thinkers. I do not know if I would go this far.
  3. Baudrillard was to an extent seeing where ideas led. Not always a bad idea. I do think that Foucault was fundamentally nonsense and indeed a "laughing stock" however.
  
If Baudrillard was the embodiment of a decadent civilisation and a also a "laughing stock" then we must not forget that the supposed civilisation that was doing most of the laughing and condemning - namely the USA and England - was engaged in an Anti-Semitic genocide on the people of Iraq.















  1.