26 April 2010

"AGORA"

Talking of philosophy, I made the effort to go and see "AGORA" at my local multiplex.

It is about the life of the (female) philosopher of 4th century Alexandria - HYPATIA, played by Holy Lady and Activist Actress Rachel Weisz (aka Mrs. James Bond).

It is set around the time of the crumbling of Classical civilisation.
So the theme of the crumbling of civilisation is of course quite topical, seeing as our supposed "civilisation" is of course crumbling around us.

I was glad that this film - which is historical and about philosophy - and hence maybe a bit "arthouse" - was on at the mainstream "multiplex".

It was good. Better than I had expected.

HYPATIA was a sort of martyr to Philosophy.

The film is a powerful exposure of religious evolution and religious intolerance. It shows some positive aspects of religion.

I don't necessarily myself see a conflict between religion and philosophy.

This film is well constructed and has wonderful citiscapes.....

......