23 May 2008

Back from Wales. - A very good book: "Coercion as Cure"

Back from a little jaunt in Wales.
Took down this blog which made me feel a bit more relaxed.
But I'm putting it back up as I can't see anything too bad about putting it up.
I have a right to my views and reflections.
Wales was great. Lovely to get out of London.

Interesting that a government with Plaid Cymru in it seems to be closing schools against the wishes of the locals. Seems odd.

Read a book on holiday: "Coercion as Cure: A Critical History of Psychiatry" (2007) by Thomas Szasz.
A very fine book.
Oddly, I don't recall seeing any reviews of it in the newspapers.
"Let Wisdom Guide".

In this book there is an interesting discussion of the shameful "1949 Nobel Prize for Medicine" which was awarded to Egas Moniz for "discovering" the lobotomy.
I didn't know it was possible to win a Nobel Prize for mutilation.