29 August 2006

Irvine Welsh

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I think Irvine Welsh is a serious writer

I think Irvine Welsh is a serious writer. He can also be funny.
What I mean is I think you could do him at A-level. Imagine that.
All the class comedians would be stumped.
I just think he's good thematically and linguistically.

He has a few ideas.

------------------

And to all the yanks slagging him I have two words to say in reply.

Henry James.

Welsh is better than loads of other stuff around.
He might stand the test ae time likesay.
Anyway I'm not sure about what makes a "classic" or
whether there are "cannons" of literature.

I suppose there do have to be "cannons" if only to make study easier.
There have to be "cannons" because I think there are such things as standards.
There are such things as classics.
But I suppose that they are opinions......Not sure about all this.

St. T.S. Eliot wrote an essay about what makes a classic. Must dig that out.

Anyway.......I think I will just go and have a drink.

Plonker Oscar Wilde said ----

"There is no such thing as a moral book or an immoral book. Books are either well written or badly written. That is all."

I disagree. I genuinely think the exact opposite.

I think that ultimately, and in a way that needs a little explanation, there is no such thing as a well-written or badly-written book.

Books are either moral or immoral. That is all.

I agree with George Orwell when he says:

"The opinion that art should have nothing to do with politics is itself a political attitude."

Hang on isn't Irvine Welsh decadent and cynical? Yes maybe to a point.

And I certainly don't like that about his writing. But maybe he's expressing a view...

BY THE WAY: DRUGS ARE INDEED SHITE. :D